Ep #75: Actionable lessons and strategies from Multi-Family Industry Expert – John Wilhoit
June 22, 2015
In this week’s show we’ll be speaking with MultiFamily industry expert, John Wilhoit. John is President of Wilhoit Investment Network, LLC, an owner and asset manager of apartments, condominiums and town homes. John’s career has focused on high volume, large-scale multifamily communities including market rate and mixed-finance developments. He has previously held positions with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Apartment Investment Management Company (AIMCO) and the Maryland Housing fund.
John is the author of two books: How to Read a Rent Roll and Multifamily Insight Volume 1. He is a prolific writer with more than 200 articles published related to multifamily acquisitions, property management, finance, market analysis and demographics.
Multifamily Insight is John’s blog that provides his perspective on the world of multifamily acquisitions, management and investing. Multifamily Insight is consistently at the top of internet search results for topics related to multifamily apartments, property management, asset management, finance, demographics, market analysis and acquisitions.
Here’s What You’ll Learn
- How he got his start in the business prior to becoming an owner/operator
- The opportunity he saw in transitioning from flipping single family homes to multifamily properties
- The sequential steps that John takes to identify new promising sub-markets to invest in
- How he defines a sub-market and why this is important to understand
- The reason you need to first identify a qualified property management company prior to acquiring a multifamily property in a new market rather than the other way around.
- Why he feels there’s no such thing as a “quality” no down deal
- What he would have done differently if he could go back to year 1 of his investing career
- Never let the deal determine the market and why he feels you need to first target your markets and then seek deals within those markets.
- Why he suggests that new multifamily investors start small (under 5 units) in order to take advantage of the easy to obtain residential financing.
- The reason that you need to first determine your exit long before entering into a deal.
- Why he suggests www.MultiFamilybiz.com for all those who are serious about staying up to date on news within the industry
- And much more
- John Wilhoit – Company Website
- Download my free success guide, “7 habits of highly successful multi-family investors” by going to www.KevinBupp.com/guide
- Schedule a free 30 minute “no obligation” 30 minute call directly with me by clicking this link https://www.timetrade.com/book/KV2D2
- Looking to invest in Mobile Home Parks? Want to partner with me personally on a deal? Click this link to schedule a time for us to talk https://www.timetrade.com/book/FGF7S
- Learn more about John and his company, please visit http://multifamilyinsight.net/