Ep #131: The Secrets to Becoming a Value-Add Commercial Real Estate Investor from a Veteran with More Than $4 Billion of Transactions Under His Belt – with Bill Shopoff
December 13, 2016
Our guest for this week’s show is Commercial Real Estate Investment Expert, Bill Shopoff
Bill’s experience spans more than 35 years and includes the acquisition, development and/or sale of more than $4 billion of real estate and real estate-related investments, including 50,000 units of multi-family, 1.5 million square feet of retail, and 5 million square feet of office and industrial properties.
I think it’s safe to say that Bill has been there and done that and I’m positive that you’ll gain a ton of knowledge from our time spent together.
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- How he got his start in the brokerage side of the business before transitioning into land development.
- Why Bill feels being a broad based value-add opportunistic investor versus an asset specific investor has been a big part of his overall success.
- Details on a recent $48.5 million dollar retail power center acquisition in Reno, NV and his plans to take the center from 71% occupancy to 93%+ within the first year. In fact, hear the details on how his team was able to secure a good amount of LOI’s on the vacant space before even closing on the property.
- The reasons behind his companies short-term hold strategy and why he focuses on an average of a 3-year holds versus long-term cash flow plays.
- The challenges that he feels the retail sector is facing in the future and how his firm is adapting to these market shifts.
- What his crystal ball is telling him about the real estate recovery and what his company is doing to prepare for any coming shifts.
- Why he is a firm believer in the old adage “you make your money on the buy”
- Why he suggests that every real estate investor reads “margin of safety” by Seth Klarman but I will warn you, the book is no longer in print and a used copy will run you $800 on amazon.
- Why reputation and integrity is everything in this business and why he feels that these two items should be first and foremost when building your business.
- And much more
- Bill Shopoff – Company Website
- Download my free success guide, “7 habits of highly successful multi-family investors” by going to KevinBupp.com/guide
- Schedule your free 30 minute “no obligation” call directly with Kevin by clicking this link https://www.timetrade.com/book/KV2D2
- Looking to invest in Mobile Home Parks? Want to JV with me on deals? If so, schedule a call with me and let’s talk. Click here https://www.timetrade.com/book/KT36S
- Grab a free copy of my latest book “The 21 Biggest Mistakes Investors Make When Purchasing their First Mobile Home Park…and how to avoid them MobileHomeParkAcademy.com